Baylor Student Among Top Finishers at Liberty Mutual Southwest Collegiate Sales Competition

Image
(From left to right) Samantha Weare, Christine Orrick, Alex Scheel, Nicole Lindsay, John McDonald, Dustan Dendy, Dr. Andrea Dixon

Baylor Professional Selling students Dustan Dendy, Christine Orrick, Alex Scheel and Ryan Snitzer represented Baylor at the Liberty Mutual Southwest Collegiate Sales Competition, hosted by the University of Houston, on October 13-14, 2016. Senior Alex Scheel came away with a fourth-place overall finish out of a field of 23 competitors from six universities.

The team was coached by executives (Todd West of Liberty Mutual and Doug Dixon of Texas Life), faculty (Dr. Andrea Dixon of Baylor) and students (Nicole Lindsay, John McDonald and Samantha Weare). Student coaches not only help their colleagues prepare for the competition, they also find coaching to be an invaluable learning experience. Student coach Nicole Lindsay explained, “The Liberty Mutual Sales Competition was a great learning experience and opportunity to utilize my industry and sales knowledge. I enjoyed understanding more about Voluntary benefits and how they impact an employee’s satisfaction and a company’s attraction. I will be able to use the information and skills I learned through the competition to be more successful in a sales career.”

Competitor and top finalist Alex Scheel noted, “Competing in the Liberty Mutual Sales Competition showed me the importance of starting and finishing strong. By putting in countless hours of preparation with my peers and working hard to close the sale, I was able to walk away with a great learning experience and placed 4th overall.”

Baylor’s Professional Selling program emphasizes sales competition participation for student development. Professional Selling students participate in four on-campus competitions and represent Baylor at nine external events at other universities each year.

About the Center for Professional Selling
Dedicated to excellence in sales education and based in the university’s Hankamer School of Business, the Center for Professional Selling is recognized as one of the premier global information resources for the sales profession. For more information on the Center for Professional Selling, visit https://hankamer.baylor.edu/prosales.