Lab Alumni

Ben Turnley

Baylor University

Technician 2022-2023

Education:

MS in Biology, University of New Mexico, 2022

BA in Biology and Environmental Science, Central College, 2020

Research Interests

Entomology, community ecology, conservation biology, plant-pollinator interactions, global change biology

James Mann

Baylor University

PhD, 2022

Education:

BS in Biology, Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ

Courses Taught:

BIO 1105/1106 Modern Concepts of Bioscience Lab

Research Interests

Mosquito-borne pathogens contribute significantly to the global burden of infectious diseases and are a continuing public health concern in the United States. Currently, our monitoring methods rely heavily on passive surveillance and clinical detection once a pathogen enters human populations. Passive surveillance efforts, however, are often limited in their effectiveness due to budget and logistical constraints, making much of the detection in developing nations rely on clinical manifestation. My research consists of adapting cutting edge passive surveillance techniques which can be affordably fielded to tackle emerging arboviral concerns, while ultimately being adaptable to other much needed entomological detection needs.

Robert Huff

Baylor University

PhD, 2022

Education:

BS, MS San Diego State University, San Diego, CA

Courses Taught:

1105/1106 Modern Concepts of Bioscience Lab
BIO 1102 Introduction to Microbiology
BIO 2201 Biology of Global Health

Research Interests

Mosquitoes globally, are responsible for the transmission of countless diseases. Country borders and social walls do not deter from finding blood meal hosts in the form of humans, domesticated animals or otherwise. My research involves the study of sophisticated chemosensory receptors that allow mosquitoes to locate blood meal hosts as well as determine sources of plant nectar, resting sites, and suitable oviposition sites by detect important environmental chemical signals. Interfering with chemosensory reception can allow for increased vector surveillance, push-pull vector control, and human personal protection.

Duncan Crosby

Baylor University

BS, 2023

Research Interests

I am currently working on increasing the efficiency of genetic engineering in Aedes aegypti by utilizing electroporation instead of the current method of microinjections. By increasing efficiency, we can more easily create genetically modified mosquitoes to understand how sensory receptors and other genes affect mosquitoes’ behavioral output. Along those same lines, I am also knocking out certain sensory receptors to see how they affect host-seeking behaviors in Aedes aegypti through olfactometry. By knocking out receptors, we can find out which odors mosquitoes use the most to detect humans and create genetically modified mosquitoes that bite humans less.

Ava Miller

Baylor University

BS, 2023

Research Interests

I am an undergraduate researcher majoring in biology and theology with the hope of going to graduate school to study medical entomology. I am from Albuquerque, New Mexico and when I am not studying, I enjoy running and exploring the hidden gems around Waco.

In the Pitt’s lab I am interested in studying the effects of wingbeat frequencies of Aedes
mosquitoes. During mating, male mosquitoes especially utilize their Johnston’s organ and
plumose antennae to detect specific vibrations and frequencies of female mates within the same species. I am interested in studying the effects of disrupting these frequencies and how this might affect mating.

Caleb Hemphill

Baylor University

BS, 2023

Research Interests

Hanna Bradford

Baylor University

BS, 2022

Research Interests

I am a University Scholar concentrating in biology, environmental science and studio art. I am from Overland Park, Kansas and in my free time I enjoy making pottery and riding horses. In the future, I plan on pursing a career in research of some sort, but have yet to decide exactly what I want to do.
My work in the Pitts lab revolves on intra-species pheromone detection during mating. I am currently preforming mating assays between wild caught Aedes aegypti and Ae. albopictus to examine possible mechanisms of satyrization.

Batool Unar Syed

Baylor University

BS, 2021

Research Interests

I am an undergraduate researcher from Dallas, Texas majoring in Biology on the Pre-Health track with goals of attending medical school and conducting clinical research as a physician-scientist. In my free time, I like to practice photography, spend time with family and friends, and explore local places in Waco, Texas!
Globally, Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are a known vector for yellow fever, dengue, chikungunya, and Zika virus. Due to the significance of Aedes species, my research focuses specifically on female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. In our lab, I test the behavior of the female mosquitoes through various odors and an olfactometer in order to better understand their oviposition and host preference. By better understanding their behavioral choices for oviposition and host preference, future studies can be conducted to target specific sensory receptors and develop better surveillance techniques.

Shan Ju Shih

Baylor University

Technician 2018-2020

MS in Biology and Anatomy, National Defense Medical Center
BS in Biotechnology, Southern Taiwan University

Research Interests

Intense global trade and global climate change are contributing to the rapid spread of mosquito vector populations beyond tropical and subtropical regions of the world. With these invasive species comes the potential for emerging vector-borne diseases. Soluble chemicals indicate the suitability of potential resources to mosquitoes and therefore play critical roles in food selection and feeding behaviors. Information about the quality and quantity of “contact” chemical cues is mediated through gustatory receptors (Grs) that are expressed in specialized sensory appendages. More focused studies on the sensory neuronal basis for mosquito behaviors may contribute to improved control measures that will help reduce disease transmission by vector mosquitoes.