We are nearly to the end of this series, but there are still a few more important members of the Graduate School team to hear from! Today we’re talking with Dana Matthews, who served as an Admissions Specialist. Dana assists Graduate Program faculty and staff with training and support within Baylor’s application admissions system. She works with application documents, test scores, email campaigns and reports. Dana joined the Graduate School as an Administrative Associate in October 2020. Thanks for your time Dana!

BearTracks

All right, I think the recording is working. Tells us a little bit about yourself as a person and also about your role in the Graduate School!

Dana Matthews

Well, first and foremost, I’m a wife and a working mom.

BT

That’s wonderful. And for your work in the Grad School, what is your official title?

DM

My title is Admissions Specialist.

BT

What does that entail? What does a day in the life look like? I’m sure it varies day to day.

DM

I remember when I took this job, I was told that admissions work is partly detective work. I don’t know if I would describe it like that, but it’s a metaphor that has stuck with me. So I work with Tosha Hendrickson, who’s our director, and then the front desk team. They’re always triaging on questions that come in to the Graduate School. When I started here, I actually began as an Administrative Associate, so I know what they’re going through. The front desk team deals more with interested applicants, prospective students, their questions, etc. Then once a student is admitted, I’m the one that their questions come to. Things like application reviews, if they have questions about a process in Slate or what departmental parameters are, those are the questions that come to me and the Admissions Specialists.

BT

As you were talking, it struck me that I forget how y’all aren’t only looking out for grad students who are actively here in attendance. You have relationships with prospective students who are being recruited and applying, and that’s so many more people who you are responsible for keeping track of! That’s a lot.

DM

It is a lot.

BT

That was a little lightbulb moment for me. Wow.

You mentioned that you started here working at the front desk. How did you end up working for Baylor?

DM

I used to work in hospital management.

BT

So a lot of detail management?

DM

Sure. But a very different system and a much faster pace. Working here is easy going! Some people might disagree with me, but it’s all about perspective. Admissions is cyclical. So there definitely are busy seasons, but you know when the busy seasons are coming. Like right now students are like accepting their offers and things like that, so things are fairly busy.

My family moved here with no jobs. We just felt like we needed to be here; it was laid on our hearts, and we moved. I felt super confident about being here. When we came, it was still in the middle of COVID. Before we moved, I had an interview for a position at Baylor that I didn’t end up getting, but I learned a lot about Baylor and I remember thinking that it was where I really wanted to be. So I kept applying for jobs in healthcare and at Baylor and eventually this position came up, and here we are! It’s such a good place to be.

BT

Wow, what a story! So on that note, what would you say your favorite thing is about working here?

DM

So, I’m a people person, and I love the people here and that our job is helping people. We encounter a lot of students, and they all need help, whether it’s that they are struggling to get their application submitted or the forms working, or they have all these questions that are so important and that they feel really emotional about. And we get to be here, and let them know that we’re going to help them. To be here in this community at the Grad School and at Baylor is just wonderful to be around.

BT

I love that. Is there something you wish more graduate students knew about Graduate School or how it works in Graduate Admissions?

DM

I think it would be to understand that there’s a process. I realize that this is a very emotionally charged process, but there are steps to that process that I wish more people knew. It’s okay to inquire about that process so you can understand and learn more about it. There are multiple people and stages involved, and it changes all the time.

BT

Right, right. I was just talking with Alana about how just two years ago we were still using paper forms for everything. So the process is practically light speed compared to what it was two years ago, but it still takes time. Light speed is still time!

DM

Right. Give it time and use the resources available. I oftentimes direct students back to our website; there are so many great resources there.

BT

Okay, so thinking about broader Baylor culture, what is your favorite Baylor event?

DM

I don’t think I’ve been here long enough to have one! The year I came was the middle of COVID, so some days we had events, some days we didn’t. Some days we were in the office, some days we weren’t! I learned nothing about these great events like Dia or Christmans on Fifth. This year was my first Christmas on Fifth! So come back to me after I’ve been here a little longer.

BT

Okay. We’ll circle back in a few years!

You mentioned resources that students have access to; what is a resource you wish more graduate students took advantage of?

DM

I wish that students, once they were admitted, would go back to the Graduate School website. Look at our resources on what to do once you’re admitted, because it has a lot of great information and it’s always being updated. We’re working on even more resources, but it lets you know what to expect. I like to know what’s going on, I’m a very structured person, so if I were a student, I would love that.

BT

Right? And I like to think that even if you aren’t naturally a structured person and love things like that, these resources are helpful so just use them anyway!

Okay, what’s a fun fact about yourself?

DM

Well, I did not get a college degree – I went straight into the workforce. But right about the time we decided to move here, I decided to get my college degree. I’m halfway done!

BT

Dana, that’s fantastic. What degree are you getting?

DM

I am doing an online program in organizational leadership.

BT

Good for you. That is so cool.

What advice would you give to graduate students?

DM

Find your people. And we can be your people! Come and talk to us. Everyone here wants to help you, but especially the staff in our office. We know a lot about graduate life, a lot about the stressors you’re going through.

BT

Final question. Who’s your favorite staff member?

DM

This feels like a setup!

BT

I know. Alana did put herself forward. She was like, “Why am I not everyone’s favorite? I have candy in my office!”

DM

Wow, that might actually be the right answer. Yeah, I will go with Alana because of the bowl of chocolate in her office!

BT

That candy bowl is a service to this academic community.

DM

I should probably pitch in to her candy fund every now and then because she has the best chocolate!