MMSCI GL60

When MMSCI was renovated (summer 2013), we received mixed comments on the need for a dedicated computer classroom. Now, four years later, it is time to plan the computer replacements and we would love user input: what works well, what needs improvement, how might we best meet your need along with many other users (Anthropology, Aviation, BIC, Education, FDM, Journalism, Sociology, Statistics, etc.)

Please comment and discuss; if you prefer, email me and I will post your comments and suggestions anonymously. Thanks!

Update 2/27/17: The presentation computer and AV displays will remain.  Comments indicate a 1-1 ratio of computers to students may not be needed, or is it?

Update 3/16/17: The 30 computers are needed by several users and are being replaced this summer (2017)!

14 thoughts on “MMSCI GL60

1. With several classes using up to 30 computers, the room will stay as a computer resource classroom. For classes needing something less, perhaps they could be scheduled in other rooms for future terms. Thank you for your feedback.

By the way, there is a classroom committee to look at needs and issues; I am glad to put you in touch.

Wes

2. Ideally, I’d have access to 15 computers in a collaborative setting, sort of “in the round”, where I would be able to see the student work. The students also need tabletop space to be able to take notes when guest speakers come.

3. I am very pleased with the current set up of MMSCI GL60. I teach a SAS programming courses once a year (in the spring) for the statistics department. It’s a very hands-on classroom experience where the students write programs while I demonstrate using the instructor computer. Students do have the ability to load SAS to their computer using SAS University Edition (which SAS provides free of charge to students). For SAS to run on their laptops/home computers they also have to install some virtualization software. We have run into a few problems this semester where students’ computers are not set up to run virtualization software. If the decision is made to eliminate most of the computers from this room, we will have to find another computer lab classroom on campus.

4. I teach writing classes in GL60, my students use the computers quite a bit. This term, I am in another computer classroom and am seeing most of my students using their own laptops. I would vote for keeping it as a computer lab but with smaller monitors. Thanks for the opportunity to give input.

5. Aviation Science ground school courses are designed to prepare students for multiple FAA Written Exams. Our courses make use of an online Written Exam test preparation software that is purchases by each student at the begining of the semester (required by the course). We conduct 10 to 12 laboratories and 4 stage exams in this classroom each semester. Our class sizes are rarely over 15 students per section.

The way that we structure this course requires a computer for each student. The set-up, including printer option works perfectly for the FAA ground school course structure.

My only suggestion would be to incorporate a second monitor at the lecture podium so that multiple computer presentations can be displayed simultaneous on both the near and far screens.

6. BIC faculty in general would agree that the monitors are a visual distraction, both for the students and the professors. Most our students have laptops; maybe a few computers [should remain] in the back to accommodate those who don’t bring laptops.

7. From the SOE perspective in MMSCI, it is good to have a PC lab in the other wing. It finds use by us when MMSCI GL 13 (an all iMac lab) is reserved or Windows-specific software is needed. I’ve found from talking to people who wanted to reserve GL 13 that they are generally unaware GL 60 is an option. In fact, that GL 13 exists and can be reserved does not seem to be generally known. I suspect a little marketing would produce an uptick of use. GL 13 is often used by students when it not reserved. Being along a major traffic area and having the door open 7:30 am – 9 pm probably helps.

• One of our biggest concerns is the faculty equipment. We have professors who make extensive power points using Office 10 and/or a Mac. They also need pointers available – which I know, is an issue because they walk. Still, we need them.

• I’ve edited the post to make it clear that the instructor computer will remain.

A laserpointer/remote should be in the rooms; if not, please contact the classroom help line. 254-307-1614

8. Hi! Thanks for giving us input options.
    • This room is not conducive to a “flipped” classroom teaching style.
    • Students can’t even see me over those computers.
    • The HVAC is so noisy they cannot hear me, either.
    • And the mold down there drives my allergies crazy.

• Wow! If you haven’t, please ask your department to contact Facilities about noise or mold issues. Seems like I recall the noise issue when the room was built. 🙁

Thanks for raising the line of sight issue, we have heard this before in rooms where the computers are not used every session.

9. From an email reply …
    “I suspect the machines in that room and similar rooms are highly underused! The room is not used outside of class time and probably not used that much during class time. I am hoping that we are moving towards a new paradigm where the students have their portable computer (not iPads) and the room has larger high resolution monitors and connections to devices like the internet (or use Airbear) and printers. The needed software would be made available to each student when they enroll.”

• Interesting idea … I am looking into which software students cannot use for free and so far have only found the Adobe Creative Cloud suite ($240-$360/yr for students) (by the way, this is free for employee campus use and around $10 for employee home use).

Students now have access to MATLAB, Mathematica, SPSS, JMP from what I can tell.
      What else should we check on?