This week we are talking to Sheila Dooley, the Graduate School’s Assistant to the Dean and Vice Provost. Sheila joined the Graduate School in November 2019 after moving from California and has quickly become a passionate Baylor supporter.  As the Assistant to the Dean and Vice Provost, she coordinates meetings and events and communicates with Graduate Program Directors.  Before joining the Graduate School, she was an Accounting Manager for a logistics company.  She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication from the University of San Francisco. Thanks for sharing about your work with us Sheila!

BearTracks

All right, let’s start with you telling us a little bit about yourself, your background, things like that.

Sheila Dooley

Oh, sure. So I think of myself as still fairly new to Baylor. I’ve only been here for about three years. My family moved here from California, so I’m just learning as much as I can about the area and the university. That’s why I was a little surprised that I was asked to meet with you because I thought, “Oh my gosh, what can I contribute?”

BT

So much! What did you do in California before moving?

SD

I did a couple of different things, but most recently we were in San Diego, and I was working for a logistics company. So, for instance, anytime that you would have to send your shipments overseas, we would provide that service. I was the accounting manager, and I made certain that our customers were taken care of, and that we were getting compensated for the services offered.

BT

I can see how that those skill sets would fit in, though, at the Graduate School. Your old job required managing a lot of moving parts and making sure that the various interested parties were all on the same page. That’s a lot of detail management, just like your role here. Tell us what the title of your role in the Graduate School is, and what that job entails.

SD

So officially, I’m the assistant to the Dean and Vice Provost at the Grad School. And you know, I help the Dean with his calendaring and also any events associated with the Grad School. I mainly communicate with Graduate Program Directors, and with that, I take in any of the curriculum changes when they come to us. I don’t approve them, but I make sure that they’re processed and sent to the to the right reviewers. Curriculum includes any changes to degrees, new degrees, including new degree plans and courses.

BT

So what does a day in the life of Sheila Dooley look like? Pick a day of the week, and tell me like what sort of things come across your desk or show up on your calendar?

SD

Sure. We will often host potential candidates who are being interviewed as faculty members, or perhaps high profile chairs. Dean Lyon speaks with quite a number of people in the community and on campus, so he plays a big role with the Provost’s Office. So oftentimes, I manage the details of his meetings with folks and interviewing. And, again, as I mentioned, I communicate quite a bit with graduate faculty or graduate program directors. And usually a typical day includes going over course submissions, so a lot of curriculum comes across my desk for review.

BT

What would you say is your favorite thing about your job in the Graduate School?

SD

You know, when I first came on board, the doctoral dinners were the big event that Grad School was in charge of putting together, and it was really cool to help grad students. These dinners were a celebration of all the hard work that the Graduate School and graduate students do all year, and celebrating with with all the mentors and faculty members who contributed. So I really enjoy the special events that happen, and although we don’t do doctoral dinners anymore, we have Grad Council and, the different meetings that the Dean goes to, so I enjoy those events because I like to interact with all these different people and know where they’re coming from.

BT

So in the three years you’ve been in the Graduate School and seeing all of what goes on behind the scenes to make graduate student life at Baylor possible, what is something you wish graduate students knew about the Graduate School? Perhaps something that they might not be aware of, but that is so essential to the life they have built here?

SD

It seems so basic, but there’s so many resources that we offer. So for instance, you know, I told you that Dean Lyon meets with a number of interviewees, and so I was trying to figure out if there was a place that we could direct people to Baylor life or Waco life, and David Winkler (President of the Graduate Student Association) actually put together this website that includes all those things. And then we also have the Two Week Outlook email. So there’s a lot of information out there, and folks should be able to take advantage of it.

BT

That’s great. Okay, a fun question for you: What is your favorite Baylor event, holiday, or sporting event?

SD

You know what’s funny is I actually like going to Dr. Pepper Hour, and I hate Dr. Pepper. But with ice cream everything tastes good! I am not a sports fan at all – nothing, anything. But everyone here is so spirited, and they’re so kind because they know that I’m a ditz when it comes to sports, but I am really spirited. I love to cheer for Baylor. I’ve been to one football game.

BT

That’s one more than I’ve been to!

SD

When I first came on board, the women’s volleyball team had just made the championship, and Dean Lyon let us go to the game! So, I thought “Well, this is weird. It’s office hours, and we get to go to a game.” But it just showed the spirit of our office.

BT

That’s fantastic. My next question kind of piggybacks off of the previous question I had about what you wish graduate students knew about the graduate school; my follow-up question is what is a resource that you wish graduate students took better advantage of?

SD

I’d say the Mock Interviews. It’s a smaller setting, and you get to hone in on your skills. And I think you all do it so well. It’s effortless, and it’s something that people like to participate in. Like I said, Dean Lyon has a lot of invitations to things, but the Mock Interviews are one of those events that he really enjoys doing. And students get great benefit out of it.

BT

Tell me a fun fact about yourself.

SD

Oh goodness. I am a wannabe event coordinator.

BT

What would be your ideal event to plan?

SD

The old doctoral dinners were a lot of fun, and I do miss them. Something I would really really love to help with is Christmas on 5th.

BT

Oh, yeah! Right, just going all out with reindeer and snow!

SD

I just dig things like that; I love seeing all the students have so much fun. Anything like that I really would enjoy planning.

BT

Okay, second-to-last question. What advice would you give to graduate students?

SD

To come to the Grad School office as often as they can! And not just to seek out resources, but even just to say hello to people and to know who everyone is. Just to come to hang out and to meet people who are here to help them.

BT

Absolutely. I think too many people think of going to the Graduate School like going to the principal’s office or something, but it’s the exact opposite of that!

SD

Right! I would have thought that more people would be in and out of our office, but they’re not. That’s why it’s always cool to see all of you student workers.

BT

I’m so glad that I got an inroad because of this job to get to know all of you. And I wish more people had the chance. Okay, here’s the final question. Who is your favorite grad school staff member?

SD

Haha! Do you count?

BT

Of course! I’m will make brownies for whoever picks me!

SD

Oh boy. This is not a fair question; it’s like picking my favorite daughter. I can’t pick!

BT

Exactly. Well, thank you very, very much Sheila. I hope you have a lovely rest of your day!