Lab Members

Principal Investigator

Jason Carter, Ph.D.
Dean of Robbins College of Health and Human Sciences

Research Team

Jeremy Bigalke, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Scientist

Alexandra Tyra, Ph.D
Post-Doctoral Research Associate

Laboratory Staff

Jennifer Bigalke, M.S.
Research Coordinator

Undergraduate Research Assistants

Stephen Bender
Neuroscience ’24
Minor: Philosophy
I am an incoming senior interested in questions at the intersection of neuroscience and ethics. I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn more about sleep, cognition, and the autonomic nervous system while working in the Carter Lab! I believe that research in these areas has significant implications for improving both cardiovascular and mental health. I serve as the college intern at First Baptist Waco, and in my spare time, I enjoy cooking, playing the piano, and watching movies with friends! 
Jenna-Marie Beisert
Medical Humanities ‘24
Minor: Biology, Pre-PA
I wanted to join the lab because I am interested in how sleep & cardiovascular health are associated with one another. It is amazing how quality of sleep affects recovery, cardiovascular health, cognition, & other physiological aspects of health. Outside of the lab, I am the DEI & Mission Trip chair of the pre-PA society & am involved in Greek life through Alpha Phi. I also love to workout, try new coffee shops, & spend time with my friends!

Ximena Solis
Neuroscience ’25
Minor: Biochemistry & Biology

Hi Guys!! I’m an international student from Lima, Peru, who is passionate about research, dancing & learning about new cultures! I joined the Carter Lab with the purpose of understanding the intricate connection between cardiovascular diseases & sleep. As someone who aspires to become a doctor & specialize in international health policy, I am driven by the desire to address the pressing issue of cardiovascular diseases, which happen to be the second leading cause of death in my country. I firmly believe that research can provide invaluable insights into prevention, diagnosis, & treatment strategies, which could help improve the health of many people!!
Ankita Talukdar
Business Fellow & Biology ’26
Minor: Biochemistry

I am thrilled to join the Carter Lab this semester, so that I am able to further my academic interests in the field of medical research! As a budding premed, I am excited to learn more about the role of sleep in cardiovascular disease as it pertains to neural control. I hope to learn more about technological advancements in the cardiovascular field while reading academic journal articles. Outside of the lab, I enjoy Classical Indian dance and performing throughout my community!
Lab Group: 2023 – 2024

SIC ‘EM!