Meet Our Team

Principal Investigator

Michael K. Scullin, Ph.D.

“I am interested in how sleep and cognition change across the adult lifespan, and what we can do about it. Outside of the laboratory, I work with students, journals, museums, clinics, churches, and other community groups to help translate basic science into real world benefits. I also enjoy spending time with my wife, son, and daughter, which usually involves Lego building, reading everything about dinosaurs and Elsa, and outdoor activities.”

Post-Doctoral Fellows & Graduate Students

Allison Nickel, Ph.D

“In graduate school, my work focused primarily on the interactions between memory and attention using eye-tracking and fMRI. As a post-doc, I’m interested in how sleep can influence cognition and how gender and race/ethnicity play a factor. I think that by considering these factors in sleep research and planning sleep interventions, that we can better help people learn about the importance of sleep for their overall well-being. In my spare time, I enjoy hiking with my dog, biking, baking, and gardening.”

Blake Barley

“I am a graduate student at Baylor University working with Dr. Scullin in the Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition Lab. My research interests include examining the impact of sleep on cognitive processes like learning, memory, and creativity. I am also interested in studying the impact of poor sleep behaviors on cognitive and academic outcomes. By studying sleep and these factors, we can develop better interventions to not only help people learn more about why sleep is important, but also lead to lasting improvements in their sleep health and behaviors. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, and playing guitar.”

Corinne Fitzsimmons

“I am a first-year doctoral student at Baylor University under Dr. Scullin in the Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition lab. My prior graduate research focused on self-reported sleep and eyewitness memory, and I am currently interested in how sleep effects memory processes for studied content, particularly with use of Targeted Memory Reactivation during sleep. I find the idea of utilizing sleep to actively choose what you want to remember exciting not only because it could have highly beneficial applications, but also because it shows how cool the sleeping brain is! In my spare time I enjoy watching TV shows, reading, and playing ultimate frisbee.” 

Post-Baccalaureate Researchers

Andri (AJ) Cruz, B.S.

Tacoma, WA
Biology, Pre-Medical

“I obtained my Bachelors degree in Biology with a Pre-Medical specialization from Kutztown University. My research interest include the mechanisms behind and links between cognitive behaviors, how they evolved, and why they have been preserved throughout evolution. Considering how important it is in our lives, I find it fascinating that sleep has been preserved throughout the evolutionary tree. Working in the SNaC Lab is a great opportunity to learn how sleep affects other cognitive processes and to broaden my skills. Outside the lab, I like to cook, read, learn new languages, and finding ways to stay active.”

Natalya Pruett, M.A.

Russia
RRT & RPSGT
Business

“I love working as a polysomnography tech because Sleep medicine is one of the few fields where patients can show a vast improvement in a short time line, and it is one of the most enjoyable aspects of working as a technologist. Working in the Sleep and Neuroscience Cognition Lab opened, for me, new knowledge on how sleep influences memory and cognition. Outside of the lab I love reading, jazz, and travel.”

Undergraduate Researchers

Manaal Salman

San Antonio, TX
Neuroscience & BIC (2023)

Research Coordinator

I’ve always been interested in how complex the brain is, and specifically how sleep affects our ability to interact with the world around us. I joined the SNaC Lab to be surrounded by a community passionate about neuroscience and committed to learning. At Baylor, I’m in BURST, Better Together BU and Ampersand. I love cooking, traveling, and cheering on the Spurs.

Alexander Do

Dallas, TX
Neuroscience (2023)

“The reason I joined the SNaC Lab is because I became interested in the critical effect of sleep throughout your life. I want to help people realize the lengths to which sleep, or lack thereof can affect so many aspects of your life. Outside of the lab I volunteer at G.W. Carver with the ACE program, MSO and BURST. I also enjoy playing basketball, soccer, spikeball, hiking at Cameron Park and watching the Mavericks.”

Lena Deharde

Seguin, TX
Neuroscience (2023)

“I joined the SNaC Lab because I am interested in learning how sleep contributes to a person’s physical and mental well-being. The opportunity to dive into the complexity of the brain with a great, passionate community excited me. Outside of the lab, I enjoy being a member of Kappa Chi Alpha, Christian Pre-Health Fellowship, and I work at the Student Life Center.”

Gabriel Galan

Houston, TX
Neuroscience (2023)

I joined because I’ve always been interested in the effects of sleep on cognition and memory since I was a sophomore in high school, and this lab was one that gave me the opportunity to explore and study those effects. I spend most of my time as a member and volunteering for Alpha Epsilon Delta (a pre-health honor society), but I also enjoy playing basketball and board games with my friends and roommates.

Anmol Chhabra

Punjab, India
Psychology (2023)

Being an international student from India, I have grown up in an environment where there is little understanding of sleep disorders and the consequences of sleep deprivation. I was intrigued by how sleep foreshadows our day-to-day functioning, whether it is physical or cognitive, and thus, my curiosity led me to join the SNaC lab. At Baylor, I am involved in ISSA, Kappa Phi Gamma, and MAPS. My hobbies include playing table tennis, cooking, and watching shows!

Kay Chi Pua

Dallas, TX
Business Fellows (2024)

I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in researching the neurological and physical impacts of sleep on our lives and look forward to discovering ways to benefit the lives of others through changing sleep and memory habits. Additionally, I joined to be immersed in a like-minded community that respects one another and celebrates each others’ successes. Outside of the lab, I am involved with Baylor MSO, and I love working out, spontaneous outdoor adventures, and playing volleyball!

Namrata Mathew

Huntsville, TX
Neuroscience & Philosophy (2024)

“I joined the SNaC Lab to continue learning about sleep and its effects on memory and cognitive function. Outside of the lab, I am involved in BURST and the Philosophy Club. I also enjoy baking, hiking, and playing the piano.”

Campbell Thurman

Greenwood Village, Colorado
Neuroscience (2024)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I wanted to learn more about how sleep, something that is so prevalent in all of our lives, has such a large impact on our overall health and psychological wellbeing. I am also super interested in neuroimaging and how we are able to use that in cognitive research. Outside of the lab, I am a peer leader for FILSA, supplemental instructor for psychology, and I am involved in MSO here at Baylor. For fun, I enjoy watching baseball, playing chess, and spending time with my dogs.” 

Andrea A. Castillo Suárez

Chimbote, Peru
Biochemistry (2024)

“I wanted to join the team because I was intrigued by the approach this lab takes on sleep and wanted to set a solid foundation for my future career in research. I like playing tennis, training my doggies and watching movies with my friends.”

David Tran

Prosper, TX
Neuroscience (2024)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in researching the long-term effects of sleep and its relationship with cognitive function. Alongside this welcoming community of like-minded, driven individuals, I want to help establish the importance sleep in every person’s life. Outside of the lab, I’m involved with MSO and ALD, and I volunteer at Baylor Scott and White Hillcrest. In my free time, I enjoy working out, swimming, and listening to music.”

Elle Neuhoff

Orange County, CA
Neuroscience (2025)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in how inadequate sleep is an often overlooked source of so many of the ailments that individuals face today. It is a privilege to be a part of a team environment in which I can expand this interest, and I look forward to being able to use this incredible learning opportunity for the advocacy of sleep health and education. Outside of the lab I am in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and am involved with my church community, Greek life, and intramural sports. I love surfing, skiing, cooking, and playing piano!”

Kyle Skores

Pingree Grove, IL
Neuroscience (2025)

“I joined the SNaC lab since I have always been fascinated by how vital sleep is in an individual’s life, both physically and mentally. I am interested in finding out more about how insufficient sleep can lead to different cognitive impairments. Outside of the lab, I am involved in MSO, BURST, and LASH at Baylor. I enjoy lifting weights, playing basketball, and watching movies.”