Meet Our Team

Principal Investigator

Michael K. Scullin, Ph.D.

“I am interested in how sleep and cognition change across the adult lifespan, and what we can do about it. Outside of the laboratory, I work with students, journals, museums, clinics, churches, and other community groups to help translate basic science into real world benefits. I also enjoy spending time with my wife, son, and daughter, which usually involves Lego building, reading everything about dinosaurs and Elsa, and outdoor activities.”

Post-Doctoral Fellows & Graduate Students

Allison Nickel, Ph.D

“In graduate school, my work focused primarily on the interactions between memory and attention using eye-tracking and fMRI. As a post-doc, I’m interested in how sleep can influence cognition and how gender and race/ethnicity play a factor. I think that by considering these factors in sleep research and planning sleep interventions, that we can better help people learn about the importance of sleep for their overall well-being. In my spare time, I enjoy hiking with my dog, biking, baking, and gardening.”

Blake Barley

“I am a graduate student at Baylor University working with Dr. Scullin in the Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition Lab. My research interests include examining the impact of sleep on cognitive processes like learning, memory, and creativity. I am also interested in studying the impact of poor sleep behaviors on cognitive and academic outcomes. By studying sleep and these factors, we can develop better interventions to not only help people learn more about why sleep is important, but also lead to lasting improvements in their sleep health and behaviors. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, and playing guitar.”

Corinne Fitzsimmons

“I am a second-year doctoral student at Baylor University under Dr. Scullin in the Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition lab. My prior graduate research focused on self-reported sleep and eyewitness memory, and I am currently interested in how sleep effects memory processes for studied content, particularly with use of Targeted Memory Reactivation during sleep. I find the idea of utilizing sleep to actively choose what you want to remember exciting not only because it could have highly beneficial applications, but also because it shows how cool the sleeping brain is! In my spare time I enjoy watching TV shows, reading, and playing ultimate frisbee.”

Ariadne Dias Godinho

I am a first-year graduate student at Baylor University working in the Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition Lab under the supervision of Dr. Scullin. I obtained my bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy-Biochemistry from the University of São Paulo and Psychology from Higher Education Center of Foz do Iguaçu, both in Brazil. My research interests include understanding sleep in a comprehensive and integrated manner, including the behavioral, cognitive, and physical aspects. In my free time, I enjoy spending time outdoors, reading, and playing tennis.

Post-Baccalaureate Researchers

Natalya Pruett, M.A.

Russia
RRT & RPSGT
Business

“I love working as a polysomnography tech because Sleep medicine is one of the few fields where patients can show a vast improvement in a short time line, and it is one of the most enjoyable aspects of working as a technologist. Working in the Sleep and Neuroscience Cognition Lab opened, for me, new knowledge on how sleep influences memory and cognition. Outside of the lab I love reading, jazz, and travel.”

Andri (AJ) Cruz, B.S.

Tacoma, WA
Biology, Pre-Medical

“I obtained my Bachelors degree in Biology with a Pre-Medical specialization from Kutztown University. My research interest include the mechanisms behind and links between cognitive behaviors, how they evolved, and why they have been preserved throughout evolution. Considering how important it is in our lives, I find it fascinating that sleep has been preserved throughout the evolutionary tree. Working in the SNaC Lab is a great opportunity to learn how sleep affects other cognitive processes and to broaden my skills. Outside the lab, I like to cook, read, learn new languages, and find ways to stay active.”

Claire LeBlanc, B.S.

Friendswood, TX
Psychology & Neuroscience

I graduated from Texas A&M University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and a minor in Neuroscience and plan to pursue a doctoral degree in Clinical Child Psychology in the future. My research interest is in understanding the biological mechanisms underlying psychological and neurological disorders, and in providing high-quality clinical treatment to children aged twelve and under. Outside the lab, I love reading, hiking, and spending time with my nieces and nephew!

Kourtney David, B.S.

Springfield, MO
Neuroscience & Public Relations

I graduated from Baylor University with a bachelor’s degree in Neuroscience and minor in Public Relations. After a stint as a local newspaper reporter, I joined the SNaC Lab to pursue a position with several different career paths and to utilize my degree. My research interests include connectomics, neuropharmacology and stress. In the lab, I’m currently helping to launch an NIH-funded grant investigating technology- and paper-based support systems for prospective memory in patients with mild cognitive impairment. Outside the lab I enjoy going to concerts and festivals, building Legos and watching YouTube.

Undergraduate Researchers

Andrea A. Castillo Suárez

Chimbote, Peru
Biochemistry (2024)

Research Coordinator

“I wanted to join the team because I was intrigued by the approach this lab takes on sleep and wanted to set a solid foundation for my future career in research. I like playing tennis, training my doggies and watching movies with my friends.”

Kay Chi Pua

Dallas, TX
Business Fellows (2024)

I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in researching the neurological and physical impacts of sleep on our lives and look forward to discovering ways to benefit the lives of others through changing sleep and memory habits. Additionally, I joined to be immersed in a like-minded community that respects one another and celebrates each others’ successes. Outside of the lab, I am involved with Baylor MSO, and I love working out, spontaneous outdoor adventures, and playing volleyball!

Namrata Mathew

Huntsville, TX
Neuroscience & Philosophy (2024)

“I joined the SNaC Lab to continue learning about sleep and its effects on memory and cognitive function. Outside of the lab, I am involved in BURST and the Philosophy Club. I also enjoy baking, hiking, and playing the piano.”

Campbell Thurman

Greenwood Village, Colorado
Neuroscience (2024)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I wanted to learn more about how sleep, something that is so prevalent in all of our lives, has such a large impact on our overall health and psychological wellbeing. I am also super interested in neuroimaging and how we are able to use that in cognitive research. Outside of the lab, I am a peer leader for FILSA, supplemental instructor for psychology, and I am involved in MSO here at Baylor. For fun, I enjoy watching baseball, playing chess, and spending time with my dogs.”

David Tran

Prosper, TX
Neuroscience (2024)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in researching the long-term effects of sleep and its relationship with cognitive function. Alongside this welcoming community of like-minded, driven individuals, I want to help establish the importance sleep in every person’s life. Outside of the lab, I’m involved with MSO and ALD, and I volunteer at Baylor Scott and White Hillcrest. In my free time, I enjoy working out, swimming, and listening to music.”

Elle Neuhoff

Orange County, CA
Neuroscience (2025)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in how inadequate sleep is an often overlooked source of so many of the ailments that individuals face today. It is a privilege to be a part of a team environment in which I can expand this interest, and I look forward to being able to use this incredible learning opportunity for the advocacy of sleep health and education. Outside of the lab I am in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and am involved with my church community, Greek life, and intramural sports. I love surfing, skiing, cooking, and playing piano!”

Kyle Skores

Pingree Grove, IL
Neuroscience (2025)

“I joined the SNaC lab since I have always been fascinated by how vital sleep is in an individual’s life, both physically and mentally. I am interested in finding out more about how insufficient sleep can lead to different cognitive impairments. Outside of the lab, I am involved in MSO, BURST, and LASH at Baylor. I enjoy lifting weights, playing basketball, and watching movies.”

Michelle Ikeocha

Katy, TX
Public Health / Biochemistry
Pre-Medical (2025)

I initially started out as a SNaC Lab participant, and I wanted to join the lab to understand more about how the neurological events that occur as we sleep affect the events that occur in our minds and bodies when we’re awake. In Baylor, I’m involved in MSO and ALD, and I volunteer at the Waco Family Medicine MLK Clinic. Outside of academics, I’ve just started watching soccer and I love WWE, Formula 1, music, baking, and learning French.

Lydia Dietsch

Killeen, TX
Neuroscience (2025)

I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in the universal applicability of sleep research and the connection between sleep and cognitive functions, particularly with regard to memory. I am passionate about educating the Baylor and Waco community on the importance of sleep. Around campus, I am a supplemental instructor, involved in Reformed University Fellowship ministry, and AFROTC’s Silver Wings. In my free time, I enjoy playing guitar and piano, gardening, and singing.

Cassey Dillenbeck

Euless, TX
Science Research Fellow and my concentration is Neuroscience (2026)

I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in researching the relationship between sleep patterns and their impact on people’s daily lives, as well as ways to enhance sleep quality for improved overall health. I am so grateful to be working in this community, which not only encourages creativity but also the growth of those dedicated to researching sleep and cognition. Outside of the lab, I’m involved with BMSA and their research team and Greek Life. In my free time, I enjoy baking, soccer, and watching movies.

Clara Burns

Waco, TX
Neuroscience (2026)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in the effects of sleep on memory, stress, and neuroplasticity. Additionally, it is a great way to foster skills needed for a career in research. I wanted to be part of a group that actively helps people better understand sleep and its complexities. Outside of the lab, I am a member of CHIS Service Sorority, I love to run and journal, and am (slowly) learning to play the guitar.”

Rebecca Abraham

Santa Clarita, CA
Neuroscience (2026)

“I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in the connection between sleep health and overall health and well-being. Sleep is such a vital necessity for our bodies and it can impact every aspect of our health. I hope to work with this group of dedicated researchers to advocate for the importance of sleep on personal health to the general public. Outside of the lab, I am involved in MAPS and AED. In my free time, I love to read, discover music, and cook for others.”

Savannah Fish

Belton, TX
Neuroscience (2026)

I joined the SNaC Lab because I am interested in the long term effects of sleep deprivation for parents during their child’s infancy and how it may result in more serious health problems. I am honored to be a part of a lab that supports and celebrates all backgrounds and walks of life. Outside of the lab, I am involved in the Baylor Symphonic Band and the Golden Wave Band, for which I play the bassoon and the alto saxophone, respectively.”

Colleen Sontheimer

Magnolia, TX
Neuroscience (2026)

I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in studying the relationship between sleep and cognitive health over time, specifically regarding memory. I want to be actively participate in research and be able to help others with what I learn through research. I wanted to be a part of a group that I could learn from both inside and outside of the lab. Outside of the lab, I’m a supplemental instructor, I’m involved in MSO and FAST, and I am a part of Baylor’s DCMI Lab. In my free time, I like working out, baking, and spending time with my friends.

Kezra Kroeger

Longmont, CO
Neuroscience (2026)

“I joined the lab because sleep is something that affects so many aspects of our lives and especially as college students it is not something we think about as much as we should. I am interested in learning about how sleep affects our everyday lives and interested to know more about cognitive neuroscience and academic research in general. I am grateful to be a part of this kind, amazing team of researchers. In my free time, I enjoy baking, reading, hiking, playing piano when I’m home, and exploring new coffee shops.

Greg Young

College Station, TX
Science Research Fellows (2027)

I joined the SNaC lab because I am interested in researching the practicality of how sleep is related to improving memory. Additionally, I am passionate about sharing how to implement healthy sleep habits to improve the overall health of others. Outside the lab, I am involved with MSO, BSM Pathway, and ALD. In my free time, I enjoy working out, grilling, and watching movies.