Today we’re talking with Alana Schaeper in the Graduate School. As Assistant Director of Student Records for the Graduate School, Alana maintains student records by managing the accuracy and security of all student records. She serves as the degree planner for all graduate programs, and it is her responsibility to certify students for graduation. Prior to her role as Assistant Director, she held the title of Admissions Specialist and Enrollment Management Specialist within the Graduate School. Before joining the Graduate School in 2018, Alana earned a B.A. in University Studies, with concentrations in Communication Studies, Sociology, and Human Development & Family Studies, from Texas Tech University. 

Alana Schaeper

I’m nervous!

BearTracks

Don’t be nervous! Eric was sweaty for his interview too but for no reason!

Start by telling me about you as a human being and also about your role here at work.

AS

Well, I’m married and have a daughter in high school.

BT

What grade in high school?

AS

She’s a freshman. She’s great. What else should I say? Um, I grew up in Waco.

BT

Wow, a real Wacoan! There’s, like, eight of you. I feel like you don’t meet actual Wacoans very often.

AS

I know, but now I feel like everybody’s moving to Waco. Growing up, everyone in Waco was ready to get out of here, but now everyone wants to move here.

BT

I bet. Okay, and how about your job at the Grad School? What is the official title of your role?

AS

My official title is assistant director of student records, which is funny because there isn’t actually a director.

BT

So do you answer to no one? Gosh, you’re like a rogue agent?

AS

Yeah. I’m like, “Oh, I need to leave early, my director said it was okay.”

BT

So good. You’re living the dream. So what does your job entail? What does a day in the life look like?

AS

I answer a lot of student emails. I manage the graduation process, which means I have to make sure students know the steps they have to take to graduate. I help if they have any issues with their audit. I handle probations and dismissals each semester.

BT

That sounds fun. Love that for you.

AS

Yeah, it’s great. And then petitions. So if anyone has credits they are petitioning to bring in or course substitutions, all the paperwork for those things.

BT

Well, I’ll be sending you paperwork soon about applying for candidacy – now I know where it goes!

How did you end up in this position?

AS

Well when I first started I came in as an admissions specialist. Tosha Hendrickson hired me. Then about two years into that role, they needed somebody to come over and help out the woman that was previously in my role. So I moved over to being an enrollment management specialist. And about six months later, I took over the position as assistant director of student records because the woman I was assisting had to leave for health reasons.

BT

What is your favorite thing about your job?

AS

I really love coming up with new ways to make processes better. When I first started here, everything was done on paper.

BT

Oh, I remember!

AS

And everything was stored in actual filing cabinets. I got rid of that pretty quickly.

BT

You are doing the Lord’s work. You took us out of the Dark Ages and into the 21st century!

AS

It was just crazy, students had to take each form and get it signed by multiple people across campus. I just thought, no. Now everything is done through online forms.

So I really like doing that and then also, I know everybody said for this question, “I love my coworkers,” but I really do.

BT

Of course. Everyone here is great.

Is there anything you wish more graduate students knew about the Graduate School?

AS

That we are located in Morrison Hall! I feel like no one knows where we are! Haha. But yeah, if you need something, you can actually have a face to face conversation with someone in our office who will help you.

BT

Time for a fun question: What is your favorite Baylor event?

AS

So, my mom was a professor here…

BT

Oh, what program?

AS

She taught Family and Consumer Sciences. She was a single mom, so we never really had time to go to things. But as I got older, I heard about Dia, and I thought it was just a day off. Like, nothing happened, it was just a day to relax. And then when I started working here, I was like, oh, there’s actually stuff that they do, they bring llamas! You can bring your kids and it’s fun!

BT

Obviously, it’s for the students, but I love realizing that it’s fun for the faculty and staff too.

What is a resource you wish graduate students took better advantage of?

AS

They can look at their audit. I don’t think most students are aware that they can do that. Go and look at your audit and see what’s missing or questions. If they want to make sure that they’re on track with graduation, they have a little bit more agency than they might think in that process.

BT

On a similar note, is there any sort of recurring pitfall you see graduate students make, especially in regard to paperwork process of things or the announcements students have to make at certain points of the process?

AS

Um, apply to graduate? We have no way of knowing you are ready unless you apply to graduate. We have a lot of students who are ready to graduate, but don’t realize that they have to file for graduation. There’s a process. We’ve made it a lot easier, too. When I started, there were only two weeks in the semester when you could apply to graduate. And it was all done on paper. So we’ve opened it up a lot sooner and you don’t even have to be fully done and ready, you just have to demonstrate that the ducks are in a row.

BT

Thank you. Thank you for that, all of this is so important.

Okay, pivot. Tell me fun fact about yourself.

AS

When I get stressed out, I like to go to the SLC and shoot hoops.

BT

So you play basketball – did you play growing up?

AS

Yeah, in junior high I chose basketball. My brother was good at every single sport. But I said, I’m gonna do basketball even though I am teeny tiny. Laura Sepanski calls me an elf.

BT

Hey, it means you can move more quickly than the tall people!

Is there any advice you would give to grad students?

AS

I guess to take one day at a time. And we are here for you. I know I come across as really sarcastic in all my interactions, but I really do care.

BT

Okay, final question. Favorite staff member?

AS

So I was going to say my director…

BT

Sneaky sneaky.

AS

But…. I would have to say Tosha. She and I are good friends, and she’s the one who hired me

BT

Yeah, I was gonna say! I feel like you owe her some allegiance!