This week we’re talking with Dr. Chris Rios, an Associate Dean of the Graduate School, and a former Baylor graduate student! So if anyone knows what you’re going through, it’s Dr. Rios. Dr. Rios joined the Graduate School in 2011 working in the area of professional development.  In his current role as Associate Dean for Enrollment Management, he oversees recruitment, admissions, student records, and academic technology. He also manages the Graduate School budget and directs the Bernard Ramm Scholars program. In addition to his service in the Graduate School, Rios teaches undergraduate courses in the Department of Religion. He also leads the annual Adjunct Teaching Workshop for the Academy for Teaching and Learning.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, Dr. Rios!

BearTracks

Tell us about yourself and your role in the Graduate School. How did you come to be in this position?

Dr. Chris Rios

My role in the grad school is that I am the Associate Dean who oversees mostly something we call “enrollment management.” I’m also involved in helping with the budget, specifically stipend budgeting for graduate students and such.

BT

Just a small thing that no graduate student cares about…

DCR

That’s exactly right. *grins wryly* Enrollment management is a term that refers to the entire lifecycle of graduate students, from how we recruit and admit the best and brightest we can find, to how we help keep track of them while they’re here and see that they’re moving along doing what they’re supposed to be doing, and then finally helping to remove as many obstacles as possible to graduating and being done.

BT

Which is just a nice way of saying “kicking them out of the nest.”

DCR

Something like that. In that way, I work very closely with Dr. Sara Dolan, of course. Where I see my role in the lifespan of a student is as the one who provides Dr. Dolan with the context for what’s going on, things like what the retention rates are like, where the challenges seem to be. She is the one who then helps diagnose whatever problems are there and then goes on to address the problems themselves. In my budgeting role, though also in my enrollment role, I spend a lot of time working with program directors and faculty.

So how did I get here? I’ve been in the Grad School for almost twelve years. I started in a role similar to Dr. Dolan’s, doing student and faculty development, and in that role I spent a lot of time with graduate students themselves.

BT

And you did your graduate degree here, right?

DCR

That’s correct. I was a graduate assistant for the Graduate School.

BT

So you just never left!

DCR

Pretty much. I left for a minute and came back. So I when I transitioned into this role, I was working with far fewer students, much more with faculty in a different kind of capacity. If you’re asking about back before that, I had a career in secondary education. I spent eight years as a teacher; I didn’t go back to school until I was in my thirties.

BT

What grades and subjects did you teach?

DCR

I was a band director for eight years.

BT

What!? Do you play instruments?

DCR

Well, I used to, and I did that in the Houston area and here. In fact, while I was finishing my dissertation I started a band program a little charter school here called Rapoport Academy.

BT

Oh yeah, Rapoport! That’s awesome.

So with your job here, what does a day in the life of your job look like?

DCR

I read a lot of emails.

BT

Ohhhhh…. fun. The not-so-glitzy part of administration.

DCR

Yeah. But honestly, a day in the life typically looks like a handful of scheduled meetings, a handful of impromptu meetings, and a lot of problem solving in the gaps.

BT

Well, if you haven’t already listed it in that fun little run-down, what is your favorite thing about your job?

DCR

My favorite thing about my job is helping people solve problems. And it’s not ever that they’re not smart enough to solve the problem. When I was growing up one of the things my mother, who was a very successful person in business, used to say was, “The biggest problem a person is facing is the problem they’re facing right now. And doesn’t matter if in the grand scheme of things it’s enormous or just an irritation, but if you can solve the problem in front of them today, you will always be useful.” As a result of that, in part, I think I value the ability to solve problems, to help when someone comes to me with an issue. I can help you connect to a resource that you need.

BT

Somewhat in that vein, what is something that you wish more graduate students knew about the Graduate School?

DCR

That the Graduate School’s primary role is to support and advocate for students and to look out for student’s interest. Unlike the other academic areas on campus, who have faculty and such, we don’t have faculty. All of the other areas hire faculty and staff, but we get PhDs.

BT

Okay, here’s a fun question: what is your favorite Baylor event?

DCR

I have become an avid tailgater. I like tailgating, and I like, sometimes, going to the games as well.

BT

You’re just a parking lot person.

DCR

Yes.

BT

Nice. How about resource you wish graduate students took better advantage of?

DCR

I wish they understood how valuable the Graduate Writing Center is. That is not a place to get remedial help, but it’s a place to get a high level, second set of eyes on a piece of writing.

BT

Okay. What’s a fun fact about yourself?

DCR

Well, I used to be a band leader.

BT

You used that already! Doesn’t count.

DCR

I used to be a team roper.

BT

Oh, right! Cowboy Chris!

DCR

Right. Yes.

BT

How did you come to be a cowboy?

DCR

When I graduated from college (because I promised my mom I would), my thought at that time was that my life’s calling was to be a rancher. I was one generation removed from ranching. My mother grew up on a ranch, I did not. And I had a blast until I stopped having a blast. I had a couple of very specific events occur that involved some very cold and miserable nights looking for cows and realized that the idea of being a cowboy, as romantic as it is, was much more enjoyable and profitable when you own the cows than if you were the one hired to work the cows. So, I decided one cold and wet night that I had a college degree and I actually did not have to do this.

BT

Do you ever miss it?

DCR

Strangely, no. Sometimes I miss the idea of it. But I do think that if I had never done it, I would always have longed for it. But I did it.

BT

You got your illusion bubbles burst.

DCR

That is exactly right. And I did it, and it was a wonderful, eye-opening experience.

BT

Is there any advice you would give to graduate students? This advice can be for any stage of the process.

DCR

To incoming students, I would encourage them to open themselves up to being vulnerable, in the sense of
trying for something and being willing to fail and to recognize that that’s part of the process.

For those grad students who are the middle of things, I would encourage them not to fall in love with being a graduate student. This season can be an enjoyable time for many, many people – including for me, I enjoyed it. But it should be a season in life. It should not be forever.

And for senior grad students, particularly super-senior kinds of students. I would encourage them to put their head down and get the project finished. And be willing to say “no” to most other things in life until it’s done.

BT

Alright, one final question. Who is your favorite staff member?

DCR

Yohan Letourmy, our Graduate Student Assistant who works at the front desk. He’s great.