In the Spring of 2020, I was preparing to begin my dissertation proposal to collect data at Boys & Girls Clubs in Central Texas. This was a project I was so excited for as I conducted pilot research the summer before. I had everything ready to go, community partners established, measurement tools in progress, and ready to fill a gap in the literature while impacting the community. That was “The Before”. As COVID-19 proliferated across the country so did my anxiety about completing my research. I was planning on interviewing children at summer care programs and this was not going to work in the light of COVID-19 precautions. Luckily, I wasn’t teaching at the time and had completed my coursework, so other disruptions were kept to a minimum. Yet as a frequent coffee shop writer and fan of writing and accountability groups, the social distancing mandates still posed other challenges. Sitting on my couch, searching for answers and motivation, what was I to do?

First, I worked with my fantastic mentor and advisor to change my dissertation work and luckily landed on meaningful work that will advance my career. I would use other data from my research assistant position which I had participated in the design and implementation of a health program for Mexican-heritage families on the border of Texas and Mexico. I would be able to analyze the social networks of the fathers and children in the study to better understand how a father-focused, family-centered health program impacted the people they chose to be active with most often. My mentor’s patience and grace during this time cannot be understated. Switching my project meant a whole new literature review and accompanying documents, but at least I would be able to conduct the research and have a hope to graduate on time. Her support transformed a would-be stressful situation into a learning opportunity on how to pivot and remain focused on doing meaningful impactful research.

Next, I had to figure out how to keep up motivation to write and complete the work while in relative isolation. As an extrovert who loves to stay in a dedicated routine this posed a rather substantial problem. I could no longer go into the office and separate myself from my home to focus on work. Similarly, my nightly sessions at Pinewood came to an abrupt halt. Yet, maybe more importantly, I was no longer able to meet with my writing groups in person to encourage that dedicated writing time. The couch and several bingeworthy shows were instead calling my name conveniently from the other room. One way I chose to combat this was by having Zoom writing groups. Having that accountability that 3 or 4 other individuals were counting on me to be there and work alongside them helped keep me off that couch and motivated to get work done. While it started with just one dissertation writing group through the Writing Center, I now have writing groups throughout the week with students and colleagues from other institutions as well.

All in all, one of my main takeaways and strategies I used to cope is to find your people and invest in those close to you. These relationships (professional and personal) have really helped support me through this time and ensure my mental and academic health through this time. Even without personal contact, maintaining these connections through virtual means has been very important for me. With that being said, if anyone is interested in joining a writing or accountability group, I would be more than happy to help make new writing or accountability group friends!

Tyler Prochnow is a PhD candidate and Research Assistant at Baylor University in Health, Human Performance, and Recreation. His research interests include the social dynamics which drive health behavior.