Bull, Victim, or Spectator: What’s Your True Identity?

By: Krystle Moos

As I began the Masters of School Leadership through Baylor University my entire focus on who I was came into question when we were asked to self-reflect on our identity.  This seemed easy at first because I am a teacher, wife, mother, daughter, and friend.  But what shook me was trying to identify who I was if I lost my job, became a widow, the loss of my mother or children, or other scenarios that would change what I value.  For weeks now, I have grappled with who I am outside of each identity that I have used in the past with a focus on my true identity in Christ.

During one of the classes for Instructional Leadership, Dr. Jon Eckert posted a picture that exemplified what I was feeling that day and week with a never-ending to-do list and conversations that were waiting to happen the next day.  It was refreshing that Dr. Eckert captured in a picture from a recent trip to Spain what so many educators are feeling.  And not only educators, in all the roles of my life that seem woven together and impossible to complete all my daily tasks. 

Who do you identify with the most in this image?

• The bull charging its way through a seemingly endless maze of obstacles with unclear directions.
  • The person hunkered down in the fetal position. 
  • The spectators standing by watching the chaos with a barrier set up that protects you from the destruction and prevents you from helping.

While I hope you don’t identify with any of these, I promise that if you focus on your identity in Christ, you will find ways to feel more like the photographer of this photo.  If you are feeling like the bull, open the Bible to seek His word.  Ask and listen for the directions and clarify to know your next steps.  When you feel like the person hunkered in the fetal position, pray for the strength to stand up and seek out a path to safety.  And when you feel like the spectator, look to God to seek the path to help those around you and know that He will protect you. 

While I entered the Masters in School Leadership program to learn skills to become better as an educational leader, I didn’t know the profound effect it would have on my relationships in all aspects of my life.  Finding my identity in Christ has helped me be better at my roles as a teacher, wife, mother, daughter, and friend.   Now, my favorite conversation centers around my identity in Christ to help students and fellow teachers be better at what we do at schools every day.