by Anne Rivers – February 2014
Why do brands line up to sponsor The Olympics & the Super Bowl? Below are five truths you might have suspected, but didn’t have the evidence or the details that explain why brands do what they do.
1. The Super Bowl and The Olympics are the two most powerful sports brands in the United States.
2. Across all leagues the final game is always more powerful in terms of brand strength and stature.
3. The Super Bowl and The Olympics have the most avid fans.
When broken down into percentages of dedication from respective fan bases, the NFL & Olympics have more avid fans than the other leagues, providing tremendous brand rub for sponsors.
4. The Super Bowl and the Olympics Match up with Unique Brand Images
The dedication of each fan base, especially when describing The Super Bowl or The Olympics, originates from what each sporting event stands for. The Super Bowl stands for iconic performance and fun and can be compared to similar brands as the image below indicates. The Olympics, on the other hand, are usually characterized by originality, authenticity, and grace.
5. The Seahawks’ image stands for fan passion, but the Broncos stand taller for perceived skill.
In anticipation of the upcoming Super Bowl this weekend, we, and avid NFL fans, see the Denver Broncos taking home the Lombardi trophy.
Special thanks to Emily Buratowski for helping with this article.