ENT Buzz | Boris Nikolaev

Boris Nikolaev, Assistant Professor, Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation

WHO IS BORIS NIKOLAEV?

I’m originally from Bulgaria, but I came to the United States right after high school with plans to get a college degree, become a marine biologist and eventually study whales in Kauai. But that’s not exactly how things worked out. I ended up changing my major at least five times, and finally graduated with degrees in Economics, Mathematics and Philosophy. What was I thinking trading the sandy shores of Kauai for an office? I went to Florida for a few years where I earned my PhD degree and helped out with a family business. Then I was off to Emory University to work as an economist for a bit before coming to the Entrepreneurship department at Baylor. I now live in Waco with my wife, Tabitha, and our two kids, Theo and Kennedy.

WHAT DO YOU DO AT BAYLOR?

I teach and research entrepreneurship. The research part can be a little lonely at times while spending hour after hour in front of the computer. But Baylor students more than make up for it. They are so creative and inspiring. I love what I do. I have a job that allows me to be curious, discover new knowledge, research obscure topics and continue to learn. I think this is where I would do a Sic’Em Bears, right?

WHAT’S SOMETHING INTERESTING ABOUT WORKING IN THE ENT DEPARTMENT?

I don’t necessarily have one specific favorite memory that stands out because working in the Entrepreneurship department is full of fun and unexpected moments. It’s kind of like watching The Office, but in real time. My coworkers are definitely an interesting cast of diverse characters. I never know what’s going to come up in a conversation.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE BAYLOR TRADITION?

Truth be told, I’m still learning the Baylor traditions. If I had to pick just one, off the top of my head it would definitely have to be the Baylor Line. It’s so unique. I am excited to keep discovering new traditions!

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A NEW ENT MAJOR?

Of course I would recommend taking my Entrepreneurship classes! Then I would say to take action and not overthink. So many students feel they have to have the perfect plan from beginning to end in order to start a business. That’s not really how entrepreneurship works. It’s not a straight arrow process. It’s more of a zig-zag, but the most difficult part is actually just getting started.

For more information on Baylor Entrepreneurship, please visit our website at baylor.edu/business/entrepreneurship/.