ENT Buzz | Peter Klein

Peter Klein, Chairman Department of Entrepreneurship & Corporate Innovation

WHO IS PETER KLEIN?

I grew up in an academic household and always loved being around a university setting. My wife (who teaches Economics at Baylor) and I met at an academic conference so yes, we’re somewhat nerdy. We have three kids, one living in Dallas after graduating from Baylor last year, one about to start as a freshman at Baylor and one in middle school. I love to travel – my Mom is from Scotland and I spent summers there as a kid; at last count I have visited 39 countries!

WHAT DO YOU DO AT BAYLOR?

I came to Baylor in 2015 to join the faculty in the Department of Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation and to work with the Baugh Center’s Free Enterprise Program. I love being a professor. I basically get paid to read, think, write and argue with people — most of which I’d do for free anyway! To research and teach is hard work but it’s also very rewarding. You really feel like you can make an influence on people’s lives.

WHAT’S SOMETHING INTERESTING ABOUT WORKING IN THE ENT DEPARTMENT?

I started at Baylor in Fall 2015, just as the Paul L. Foster Campus for Business and Innovation opened. Everything was fresh and new. The hallways still had that “new building smell.” I was assigned an office right next to the Department Chair, but I wanted to be as far away from the boss as possible. Since everyone was moving into offices, it was easy for me to switch. Four years later and now I’m the Department Chair and everyone wants to get away from me! Turnabout is fair play, I suppose.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE BAYLOR TRADITION?

It’s hard to pick one favorite, but I love Christmas at Baylor – the decorations, music, Christmas on 5th, everything. The flash mob Christmas carols in the Foster building are amazing.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A NEW ENT MAJOR?

Get involved! Besides our classes and other “official” activities the Entrepreneurship department has so many extra, after-hours, fun and interesting things going on: outside speakers from industry, academia, and popular culture; our student incubator and new venture competition; the Baylor Angel Network; and so much more. Attend as many activities as you can, get to know our faculty and staff and your fellow students, and get involved in the Waco entrepreneurial ecosystem.

For more information on Baylor Entrepreneurship, please visit our website at baylor.edu/business/entrepreneurship/.