Baylor New Venture Competition Recognizes Oso Launch Students

Let’s say you started a business in high school. It’s a small, local business with modest success. But there’s a tug at your heart that maybe, just maybe, you can take that small business and make something big with it. But how? After high school, there’s college. How does one navigate the world on a much bigger scale as both a collegiate student and a business owner?

The Baylor Entrepreneurship department created a program called Oso Launch that is designed to help incoming freshmen students in such a predicament. It’s designed to help students accomplish big dreams with their small businesses.

Oso Launch provides this niche group of incoming freshmen students with a program that walks alongside the students and offers guidance, mentorship and networking throughout their four years at Baylor. With Oso Launch, students build an entrepreneurial foundation by completing unique challenges and assigned milestones all within a learning environment. One such milestone is participating in the Spring semester Baylor New Venture Competition (NVC) Oso Launch Elevator Pitch Competition.

This pitch competition gives students an opportunity to communicate their value proposition in a compelling and unique way. It helps them dig deep into their business and business goals. The Spring 2020 NVC was originally planned for late March, but in coordination with the closing of Baylor campus due to Covid-19 the in-person event was canceled. With a little behind-the-scenes work, the Oso Launch students were able to compete in the Elevator Pitch Competition virtually. A panel of expert judges assessed and evaluated the student pitches, and three Oso Launch students were recognized for compelling pitches that clearly articulated their products and accomplishments.

Congratulations to Layne McCalmont, Ellie Meinershagen and Kristina Ward. You did a great job. Sic ’em!

2020 Baylor New Venture Competition
Oso Launch Pitch Competition Winner Profiles

First Place Winner Layne McCalmont
Awarded $1,000 for Thrifted by Layne | online clothing resale | Instagram @thriftedbylayne
Layne McCalmont 2020 Oso Launch Pitch Competition

COVID-19 IMPACT ON THRIFTED BY LAYNE
Because of Covid-19, a lot of people were at home and they were using their phones more than ever. Sales for Thrifted by Layne actually increased during this time. Customers were buying more because it was so much easier and more convenient to order from a phone. Also since I was back in Round Rock after campus closed, I was able to arrange no-contact, porch pickup for my local Round Rock customers.  

LONG TERM GOALS
I am currently planning to build a business website so that I can transition to a full ecommerce site and I’m not limited to just Instagram.

THOUGHTS ON OSO LAUNCH
By participating in Oso Launch, I have had the opportunity to network with several different people within the Entrepreneurship department. They have given incredible feedback and suggestions about business plans, marketing techniques, and selling opportunities. I also can’t say enough about the relationships I’ve built with the other Oso Launch students. It’s truly an awesome support network! 

Second Place Winner Ellie Meinershagen
Awarded $500 for Acute Accents | jewelry | Instagram @acuteaccents
Ellie Meinershagen 2020 Oso Launch Pitch Competition

COVID-19 IMPACT ON ACUTE ACCENTS
During the Covid-19 closings and restrictions, consumers were doing a lot of online shopping. I realized that I needed to adjust my business model. My initial focus had always been an in-person approach, selling primarily at local Waco markets. I needed to shift to an online format that could support shoppers beyond my local community. I’m very thankful that I was able to transition my business into an online brand. Acute Accents has now sold over 600 pairs of earrings to customers in 40 U.S. states during the past year.

LONG TERM GOALS
I started Acute Accents during the summer before my freshman year at Baylor, fully expecting it to be a summer hobby. A year later and Acute Accents is going strong. I will definitely continue selling online, at local markets and wholesale. However, I really want  to build a brand that supports other local makers by including and selling their work as part of a cohesive flea-market. I want to take my business from exclusively handmade earrings to a collection of unique clothing, jewelry and home goods. 

THOUGHTS ON OSO LAUNCH
With the resources available through Oso Launch, I was able to transition from a summer hobby to an actual business. I view the assigned milestones as motivational goals that have helped me grow my business. I’m so thankful for all the individualized support and coaching that I’ve received with the Oso Launch program, and I’m looking forward to seeing what’s next.

Third Place Winner Kristina Ward
Awarded $250 for Oso Sweet | gourmet cookies on a stick
Kristina Ward 2020 Oso Launch Pitch Competition

COVID-19 IMPACT ON OSO SWEET
Oso Sweet was created as a home-kitchen, bakery business with an initial plan to provide a cookie delivery service to Baylor dorms. When Baylor campus closed with Covid-19, all dorm residents moved back home. That was a problem for Oso Sweet. While I wasn’t able to launch my business during the quarantine, I was able to brainstorm how to best launch Oso Sweet in the future.

LONG TERM GOALS
I decided to focus on my studies for my next three years at Baylor. I do believe in this company and feel it could thrive at the appropriate time. I’ll revisit the idea after graduation. For now, Oso Sweet is on the back burner.

THOUGHTS ON OSO LAUNCH
Networking and mentoring are the hidden jewels of Oso Launch. Not only was I able to connect with people in the Entrepreneurship department, but also local business owners. Meeting with these business owners gave me such a deep appreciation for Waco!

For more information on Baylor Entrepreneurship, please visit our website at baylor.edu/business/entrepreneurship/.